Maurice Visit

Published July 21, 2009 by Spike

wild_3

Saw this good man last week. Among topics we covered were whales having more than one penis (he says three). I have never heard of this. Maybe he was pulling my leg? I haven’t looked it up because I kind of would rather just believe it.

wild_4

We went for a walk with Herman, his german shepard who is named after one of his heroes, Herman Melville.

wild_2

Also, it was his birthday last month as you can see from the birthday plate.

wild_6

He also showed me a Max sailing sculpture he was sent from some art gallery in nyc that is going to make them.

wid_5

He added Obama to the mix with great affect. As you can remember they are close personal friends.

wild_11

He was feeling a little run down the day I saw him so if anyone wants to send him a message, please do so and we will send them over to him.

The highlight of the day was him telling me why people loved Shakespeare’s (another one of Maurice’s heroes) plays when Shakespeare was alive. He told me the whole story of Romeo and Juliet which I hadn’t thought of in a long time. By the time he got to the part where the parents found their dead children and realized what they had done, we both had runny eyes.

Maurice is a good storyteller.

Tags: , , , ,

1. corqsan says:

I was reading with wide open eyes and thinking, Have you show the movie to Mr. Sendak and what’s his opinion if any?

Great blog man!.

2. sammy says:

rad German shepherd…and i am going with three since peepees since having just one is pretty much the norm.

3. selvester fontenot says:

is mr sendak flipping you the bird in the first pic? wow, and what a subtle bird too…well done mr sendak.

4. flo feinberg says:

Very cool!! I love Maurice(and Herman, too!)…
    I also love the Obama action figure which was created by my son, Jason!!

5. Fishman says:

HAHA selvester is right–Sendak is definitely flippin you the bird in the first pic. I’m interested to know Sendak’s opinion of your film. Have you shown it to him?

6. Bernie Goedhart says:

Someone at Tiny Showcase linked this website for me, and I found this particular post while searching frantically for that wonderful featurette in which you (Spike Jonze) talk about the movie and Mr. Sendak adds his imprimatur. I loved that featurette (especially since Mr. Sendak sounded so strong and forceful and hale and hearty) but it has been yanked from You Tube. Saw it yesterday; can’t see it today. A pity, because I wanted to share it with friends who love the picture book, are looking forward to the novel and movie…