Films of influence

Published May 11, 2009 by Spike

ratcatcher

There were a handful of films that we watched when we were deciding on the tone for WTWTA. I’d like to post them on occasion.

With Ratcatcher it just feels like you are with this little boy. You are in his world. The tone is a little more extreme than what we were doing but I definitely wanted to get to that feeling of being with him, in his world.

Have a look

Tags: , ,

1. Martin says:

Not that I wasn’t confidant before, but seeing this really solidifies my belief that your film is going to be great. Ratcatcher is such a superb example of the absolute fear and possibility that childhood can provide. Obviously a different context/medium, but reminds me of what Gary Trudeau said about Calvin and Hobbes:

“Chalk it up to either indolence or defective recall but most people who write comic dialogue for kids demonstrate little feel for – or faith in – the original source material, that is, childhood, in all its unfettered and winsome glory. It is in this respect that Bill Watterson has proved as unusual as his feckless creations, Calvin and Hobbes. Watterson is the reporter who’s gotten it right; childhood as it actually is, with its constantly shifting frames of reference. Anyone who’s done time with a small child knows that reality can be highly situational.” [from his intro to the first collection]

I think that Ratcatcher, Where the Wild Things Are, Butcher Boy, parts of His Dark Materials, Langley School Music Project, the beginning of Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man, Fat Girl and precious few other works have really accomplished this accurate reportage. I hope so much I can soon add your film to this tooshort list!

2. sean murphy says:

The look on his face, the peering through the door, laying on his back in the field. When you watch it and you can feel it on your back, or the warmth and glow coming through the window you really can feel like you are right there. I thought Ratcatcher was rough, excited to see how this will relate to WTWA.

3. chepesent says:

Haven’t seen Ratcatcher, will look it up for sure. I really liked how the crescendo of the music moves in. That shot of the boy sitting on the window frame…great photography.

4. Alex Deaton says:

This is one of my favorite films of all time. I can see how Max relates to James’ character in many ways. Thrilled to see this was an influence.

5. Nictate says:

Ratcatcher is a beautiful, haunting film. An amazing choice for inspiration.

The cool things swirling about this blog make me feel like a crow on aluminum recycling day. Sweet!

6. jana says:

This looks fantastic. I have just seen “It’s not me, I swear,” from Philippe Falardeau at the San Francisco film festival, which has very similiar themes. It’s a very dark comedy, a bittersweet and endearing portrait of abandoment, wonder, and the worlds that exist so intensely for young children. I swear I could have stayed in Leon’s world forever.

7. Jesse says:

Not for nothing, Spike, but shouldn’t the acronym of Where the Wild Things Are be ‘WTWTA’ or ‘WWTA’? I keep seeing ‘WTWA’ here on the blog and wonder “where’d the ‘Things’ go?”

Also, I just watched the Weezer ‘Buddy Holly’ video earlier today and remembered how much you RULE. Thanks for putting up this blog for us to see the clockworks behind the movie production.

8. I remember going to see this when it came out not knowing what to expect and it is one of those that really stays with you over time. I recently bought this dvd of european shorts not realizing she was one of the directors to have a short of on it, it is an awesome short everyone should see.

9. mARY says:

The best bathtub scene ever. The mouse floating away on the balloon. The bus to the country. The hole in the parent’s sock. What a incredible and deeply beautiful collection of images. Hells to the yes on taking inspirations from this epicly special film.